‘The Myth of Rhodes’ was a Poor Print special report on Cecil Rhodes, Rhodes Must Fall, and the statue at Oriel College. The report was conceived, commissioned and edited by Alex Waygood, who also wrote one of the articles and carried out a large amount of additional research and fact-checking. The report was originally published on Friday, 28 April 2017, as part of Issue #18 (themed around ‘Myth’), which was also designed in its entirety by Alex Waygood.
The report consisted of six features (one of which was only online), plus a Complete Bibliography, a list of suggested Further Reading and copies of Facebook posts cited in the report. The report can be read online in its entirety here; or alternatively, for links to the individual articles, see below:
- ‘The Myth of Rhodes: Editoriel‘ (Aidan Chivers).
- ‘Rhodes Must Fall: a Timeline‘ (Alex Waygood).
- ‘Rhodes: a Perspective‘ (Joanna Engle).
- ‘Putting Rhodes in His Place‘ (Alex Waygood).
- ‘Iconography Campaigns: a Global Perspective‘ (Emma Gilpin).
- ‘Safe Spaces and Student Protest‘ (Juliet Butcher – online only).
- ‘Complete Bibliography‘ (online only).
- ‘Cecil Rhodes and the Commemoration of the Past: Further Reading‘ (provided by Dr Ian Forrest – online only).
- Primary sources cited.
A pdf of the entire print issue can be downloaded here.